Thursday, March 19, 2009

New Assignment

I am so excited! I have just been given a new church assignment to help out with the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Celebration. This is a HUGE celebration that is going to last two days. The first day is for the Draper temple and the second day is for the Oquirrh Mountain temple. The youth are going to be singing and dancing at the conference center for the prophet and other church leaders. It is an amazing opportunity for our youth. I am so excited to be a part of it. I have been asked to be an assistant choreographer.

We had our first practice last night. It was crazy! There are 300 dancers from our stake and the daybreak stake. That many kids ages 12-18 in one gym - it was nuts. Our leaders did awesome trying to keep their attention and teach them all, but it was just so many kids in such a small space trying to dance. I have volunteered myself to help with the roller skating section of the dance. I am going to be working to teach 24 girls on roller skates. It should be a ton of fun!

They have set up a blog for all the youth and their leaders. If you have not hear about this, you should check it out. http://templecelebration.blogspot.com

8 comments:

Mandos said...

Wow! Sounds intimidating! But it will be an awesome experience. Good luck!
By the way if you need any roller skating tips I might be able to help out . I'm getting pretty good on my new skates! LOL!

Holly said...

That is great...and right up your alley! ;)

Monica said...

I'm so glad you are going to be a part of this. You will be great!
So are you doing it with another stake? That is crazy. We had our first practice last Tues. We had the youth split up to either sing or dance. We had a lot of dancers, but not that many. Maybe 100. We learned a stomp dance. It's going to be a ton of fun. I'm just glad I'm a leader and not teaching. However, they do want us leaders to learn too so that we can help our youth. I have the blog link on my blog, so that is an easy way all can visit.

Kay said...

You'll have a bunch of fun, but it is work trying to get that many kids to listen and do what you want.

Two years ago I was in charge of a sports/dance number for our 4 Stake Youth Celebration. I had 100 kids to teach 3 minute number, it was crazy, but the kids had a great time. And that was all that mattered. Good Luck! Just be happy, up beat, they will feed off your enthusiasm.

Amy and Mike said...

This sounds like a really cool thing. Maybe we'll be in town for one of the performances? Probably not. Good luck with the roller skating.

Rachel said...

That is so awesome! I am helping out with costumes. Ironic, since I don't sew. Should be interesting! (:

Linda said...

Oh how this brings back memories of dance festivals in California. Crazy fun memories that improve with time ;-)

Rina said...

That is AWESOME!! I'm SOOOO jealous! Good Luck!!