Monday, March 15, 2010

Perception is Reality

Have you ever wondered what others are thinking of you? Do you make a good first impression?

These are some of the questions I have been thinking about over the last couple of days. Saturday night Kory and I went to a party for his parents 60th wedding anniversary. I said hello to many people that I did not know and will likely never see again. Also while there I had a great conversation with one of Kory's brothers. He told me a couple of stories about Kory that I had never heard before. Also, his perception of Kory was different than what Kory's perception of himself was. Kory and I stayed up very late that night talking about how different people see us and how first impressions are sometimes wrong. I know that for myself, I have sometimes held off on friendships because my first impression of somebody was not that great and then when I take the time to get to know them - I find a great friend.

So, I am going to ask for feedback from my family and friends. What is your perception of me? What was the first impression(s) you had about who I am? I want the good and the bad - I promise I will not get offended (or at least I will try not too :).

5 comments:

Ashlyn said...

So I have no idea what my FIRST impression of you was seeing as I was three. I was probably jealous of you. You stoll my roll as baby and I'm sure I resented that. :) Now I see you as superwomen! I just think you are amazing and I'm proud to call you sister.

Shane, Maryann, Riley, Mackenzie and Ethan said...

My first impression of you was, I think she's a little quite and shy. I'm still not sure if that is true. But, my impression of you now is, kind, generous, compassionate, beautiful, I'm jealous of your hair, beautiful inside and out, very giving, amazing energy, patient, smiley, intelligent, spiritual and so many other wonderful qualities. I just think you are AWESOME.

Monica said...

I don't remember my first impressions of you. I remeber I loved you and was so excited to have another sister. I remeber thinking it was funny that you had no hair. All through out your life I have always thought of you as a girl who could do anything you wanted too. Nothing seemed to stop you from doing what you wanted. You also seem to have an endless supply of energy. You can just go, go, go and seem very happy with going.

Michelle Jones said...

My first impression of you? I thought you were a party girl who probably wears all black leather, has several tattoos on her back, practices nun-chuck fighting, and works as a part-time sky diving instructor.

Actually, I can't remember much of my first impression of you . . . which is probably a good thing. I do remember that I thought you had a beautiful figure, and that you were probably one of those homemaker moms who make everyone else look bad.

Mom in Orem said...

Dear Sweet Daughter, You have always been phenomenal. You showed great abilities and talents from your birth. My first impressions of you was that you were perfect in every way. I had great joy when you were born. Here are a few of the talents you have always displayed and have honed through the years:
leadership
kindness
generosity
serviceability
intelligence
positivity
creativity