Thursday, June 18, 2009

I love to see the temple...

Over the last three months I have been very busy with the temple. I have mentioned before that I was called to be an assistant choreographer for the Temple Dedication Celebration that was held at the Conference Center on May 30, 2009. This was an amazing experience! I hope that many of you had the chance to watch it. Practices started clear back in March and I was soon picked to help with the roller skating section of our 50's number. I was sooooo excited. Then I found out that most of the girls that I would be working with could NOT skate, and most had little to NO dance experience.
The other choreographers and I decided that it would be best to keep things very simple, mostly arm movements and not a lot of skating. I put together a routine and started teaching the girls. It was so much fun and so hard! These girls did not stop talking. It took a lot of patience and a lot of tricks to get them to listen and pay attention. We were lucky that Classic Fun Center made it possible for us to come and borrow their skates every Wednesday and bring them back every Thursday morning. I don't know what would have happened if my girls would not have had the chance to practice each week on these skates.
Well we felt we had the routine down pretty well and so we started combining with the dancers. What a MESS! They lost all confidence and did not do very well. I am not sure if it was that they got confused or if they were scared to be in front of their peers. Well we kept practicing and practicing and practicing. It was starting to look great.
Then we got to the conference center for the dress rehearsal. Another Mess! This was Thursday, May 21st.
The church had 2 vintage cars donated for the performance. They were originally supposed to go on the side stage, but when we got there we found out the cars only came part of the way on stage, and of course they came out right where we were told the roller skaters would be coming out. My girls didn't know what to do. They couldn't get on stage and the conference center did not give us any time to block things out and change it, until everybody had left which didn't help because we needed the dancers. I was so frustrated I was in tears. I did not know what to do to help these girls. I came home that night devastated. I was awake all night trying to think of what I could do to help them.
The next morning, Friday, I called one of the other choreographers and told her what I was thinking. She said that what I had thought of was a great idea, but that she had a better one. YEAH!
Me: What is it?
Jessica: I think you should perform with them!
Me: What!?!
Jessica: It would help build their confidence and they could look at you if they forget.
Me: I don't know, this is for the youth!
Jessica: You could look 17.
Me: I don't know, let me talk to Katie (the other choreographer) about it, and see what she thinks.

Well Katie said do whatever I thought was right. I really felt that this celebration was for the youth and I didn't want to take away from that. So I decided I would just rearrange some formations to put some of my stronger skaters/dancers in the front. Then Sunday I got an email from Katie.
Katie: I've been thinking and I think you should do it! It would really help your girls.

Next thing I know I am getting fitted for a costume and trying to teach the girls all new formations 3 days before the final performance, with girls that are very new to performing. AAAAAAAH!

Well we got to the Conference Center the night of the performance and everything went AWESOME! I have not seen it yet, but I can't wait to see the DVD so I can see how my girls did. I feel so much love for the 23 girls that I was able to get to know and work with. The night of the performance was not perfect, but the spirit was so strong and all of my girls smiled and shined like they had been performing for years! I am so thankful for this opportunity. It was hard, challenging, fun, exciting, crazy, always changing, but most of all it was an amazing testimony builder for all involved.

Outside Classic Fun Center After the Performance

I am so thankful for the temple. I am thankful that I have a temple 5 minutes from my house now. The open house is now in full swing. I have already had the opportunity to help with the open house by being an usher. I was lucky enough to be in the marriage waiting room and see how the spirit affected those coming out of the sealing rooms. It was a great night. I get the opportunity to be an usher again tonight, and we will be going through the open house with most of my family in July. If you have not had a chance yet to go, please take the time to make a quick reservation - it is beautiful!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

That is so awesome you got to be so involved! I was at the Draper Temple celebration and it was amazing. A once in a lifetime opportunity for sure!

Mandos said...

Look at you in your costume! So cute! I can't wait to see the DVD as well! What an amazing experience this was for!

Holly said...

I do have to say...it is a blessing to have the Timp temple right down the street. I bet you rocked it (of course with reveance)! ;)